Friday, December 5, 2008

Some ways in which God works...

Today was one of those days when you wake up and don't want to be yourself. I was dreading this afternoon.... It was going to be my first job interview.
OK so some of you know that I've been looking for a job lately. Yesterday I submitted 5 applications to different stores and restaurants in the neighbourhood. There was an Italian restaurant that wasn't open yet, but the owners let me fill out an application while nobody was there. They are a senior couple, running a small restaurant. They have a nice weener dog. They were polite, but.... Something within me just was saying NO!!! Will agreed that he had the same spooky feeling.... I was praying they wouldn't call me.
They did. The same day. And told me to come at noon today.

Yesterday, when we were about to be done with all the applications, on the way home Will saw another restaurant. It's more of a hamburger joint I would say, and is called "Little Jocko's". He said "Well, let's try the last one". And I was about to open my mouth to say "Nah, I'm too tired, let's go home", when I saw an anchor on a worker's T-shirt. That made me shut my mouth. (Some might not know, but for Will and me anchors are special.. and God uses them as signs for us =)
We came inside. Yep, a typical hamburger joint. The application was very simple, but it said to submit it before 11 am. And we were late. "Well, I said, I will submit it tomorrow myself." So we agreed.
In the evening that guy from the Italian restaurant called....
So today I woke up and was just laying in bed thinking about whether I should go or not. On one hand, it is a job, which is very hard to find right now, especially if you have NO experience whatsoever. On the other hand, I would rather trade a more prestigious job for a group of co-workers I am comfortable with.
So I was pretty nervous. The application for Little Jocko's still lay on the kitchen table together with the last copy of my resume... So I decided to submit it today before the interview. I walked to the restaurant and saw the sign "Sorry we are closed." I walked past it and went to the Starbucks nearby, got a latte, sat down and thought "WHY?? God, if you were telling me to go here, why is it closed today??" And God just said "Just try knocking on the door, silly =)". So I picked up my coffee and went back. Some guy was arranging chairs in the hall, I showed him my application, he walked behind the counter, then came back and opened the door. "Danny will be with you in a moment". And a moment later I was standing in front of a middle aged pleasant man, who was studying my papers. In the middle of conversation he suddenly said "Hey my cousin lives in Ukraine." I asked about the city or the church he was with, but he couldn't remember. Then I asked "What's his name?", realizing that there are so many american missionaries, and so many churches that it was almost silly to ask... Until I heard "Jake... Jake Knotts..."
Well, at that point I realized that it was another sign God was sending me. And if I was in SLO, I probably wouldn't be as surprised, but we are good 20 min away from SLO, and that was the very restaurant that God directed me to.
SO there you go Jake, even though you are not in the States, God is using you!

5 comments:

Greg and Edna Silva said...

Snap a photo of your new place of employment for us. That's so cool!

Olya Velichko said...

that's so cool. Jake and Anya, is that the same Joco's we went to??

Marina said...

haha, God is fun! hope you'll be having fun at work. praise God you have it.
love you sis :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you.

Let go... Let God... said...

Klassno!!!!!!!! Praise the Lord! am still looking for a job, with no expirience only baby sitting.