Thursday, January 15, 2009

Some joys of America...

Even though I am not a big fan of America, some things do make my life a little more enjoyable..

#1. Peanut butter!!!
Now, I know now you can get some in Ukraine, too (if you're lucky). But it's usually imported = expensive, or if it's not, it just doesn't taste the same. I think it's the biggest paradox - peanuts are so readily available in Ukraine, but nobody makes peanut butter!!

#2. Cream cheese.
As of right now, I'm finishing my first tub of american cream cheese. (Yes, I mostly ate it myself... when my in laws gave me strange looks, I just said I'm ukrainian.. ) Now I'm not sure of the process of making this creamy goodness, but somehow it's utterly expensive in Ukraine, although there are some desserts called Sirok and Chudo that resemble the texture. I'm still wanting to make my own cheesecake - or even my own cream cheese!

#3. Coffee Shops and Bread stores.
Now, I'm slightly against (if there is such a thing) Starbucks, because the more you go there, the more it lures you back. People can easily spend thousands of dollars every year on Starbucks without even noticing it. So I'm not a Starbucks junkie, but every once in a while it's very relaxing to come to a cafe where noone will turn you out 20 min later. Most of them also provide Wireless Internet, which makes the experience still more enjoyable. Plus of course excellent coffee (and tea!).
The same thing with bakeries. I'm obsessed with baking and all kinds of textures bread can possess, and it's amazing what they sometimes can come up with. And of course it's all fresh and warm, and most places let you try their bread with some butter on it...MMmmmmmm....

I think that's it for now...

5 comments:

Little Viky said...

So you've found good food there, haven't you? =) Are there any good fruit or something?

Ira said...

UUhh Vika I should have posted about that too!! Citruses are amazing here, because they are picked when they are actually ripe. Our neighbor has a lemon tree, and some branches overhang on to our side.. So we have perfect lemons all the time =)

Patty said...

Ira, thanks for stopping by my blog. I wish we did live closer, but we live in the midwest. Reading a snippet of your blog, you sound like you have been here much longer than 2 months! You are a cute couple. I will check in now and then to see what other things you struggle with as you get to know our culture, so I can maybe help Luda, also.

Time of Joy Photography said...

Ira sounds like you are learning America quickly. You make me want cheesecake. I love cream cheese anything with cream cheeese is for me. I love it. What else have you tried that you like.

Let go... Let God... said...

I miss you, guys...