Monday, January 5, 2009

...and go break your leg!

Couple days ago at work I asked one of my managers if I should go do something, and she said "Yeah, knock yourself out!". For a second I was wondering if she was serious...

Later on I realized that this means "Go have a good time"... Not a very literal translation. But it started me thinking about all the weird things people say in English (or should I clarify, in AMERICAN English)...

..."can I see this something" means you want to take the object and possibly walk away with it. There's a lot more than seeing involved.
..."can I help you?", just like "excuse me" and "how are you" are plain speech fillers.
...and of course, "stuff" and "like", the most ambiguous words in the language!

English is a very sensitive language. Unlike Russian, you can't get away with just saying "Please" and be polite. Also, if you use the wrong intonation/word order/address(Mrs instead of Miss), you are also more than likely will be viewed as a rude moron.

Yeah these are my impressions of the language I speak 40 hours a week...

5 comments:

Marina said...

the phrase that still annoys me the most is "hi. how are you?". i can't get used that it means only "hi". the same with "what's up". our boss has a habit of saying that every time he enters the office. my usual answer to that is "heaven".

Ira said...

Yeah one of my bosses walked past me saying "how are you" so fast that you could tell he wasn't interested in the answer...
A terrible habit. I say, don't want to hear about how people are doing - DON'T ASK!

Tim Emerson said...

I never understood that either ... I always meant it when I said how are you and people assumed I didn't :(

Maybe Canadians mean it more?

Ira said...

Uuuhhh Tim, you might raise another Civil war here =)
How have you guys been? I've been trying to catch you on skype for quite a while...

Cara Denney said...

Irochka! Lots to say on this subject (of course! ha!) but right now just trying to catch you while I am in the central coast...REALLY hope you see this soon. Can you call me at (209) 663-0840...also a bunch of people are getting together at Taco Loco to eat on Saturday night in the Village in Arroyo Grande. 6 pm...really hope to hook up with you guys!...oh, and sometimes "can I help" really does mean they want to know if you need any help...but youre right, often it is just "Hi, I work here and I have to acknowledge you".

sigh...oh well..